Whether you’re planning a new product a new business venture or simply brainstorming, here are some tips to help boost creativity and innovation within your business:
- Don’t assume the current way is the right way. Challenge long standing processes that are currently used within your business and promote evolution of new systems and ideas for your business. Be as innovative as you like.
- Ask the questions – what are you doing and why? Don’t stray from your original mission unless it’s clear the new route will be beneficial. Always align your tasks with your goals but make sure you assess these regularly so you know what you’re doing and why. It’s a form of tracking.
- The first solution may not be the most effective. Hurrah you found one! But don’t stop there. Refine it to ensure it’s the best solution, test it, put it to use and then adapt it as necessary.
- Meet new people in new industries. It’s amazing what happens beyond your bubble. Open yourself for new viewpoints and creative avenues that could relate to your business. Find out about business networking evenings in your area and go along. Take team members that you think might be interested in what’s being presented; you may be surprised at what you learn about other industries.
- Inspire the team with real business success stories. Encourage them to learn and relate. Invite guest speakers to team meetings or watch inspirational clips together on YouTube.
- You can’t learn less. Regularly research new ideas or possibilities. You never know what will trigger a fantastic idea. Most of this can be done online through social media, but encourage brainstorming and team input on project or product business possibilities.
- Don’t bury issues – celebrate them. Make problem solving fun and have the team break from their daily tasks to brainstorm. You could learn a lot from their fresh perspectives, and they’ll enjoy being a part of the decision making process.
- Your employees are your first/most important customer. Treat them with the necessary respect and value their opinions!